Wednesday 4 May 2016

See your mates, have a drink



My old primary school is at the end of my road. I walk past my pre-school. The college where I sat my A-Levels is further down the street towards town. It’s not in the right order, seeing as the school where I got my GCSEs is the other side of town, but the walk to the station is like a run-down of where I spent my childhood. On that same theme, I’m going to the station, changing at Clapham Junction and going to Chelsea. 

I remember rushing back from my own football games on a Saturday, getting dad’s car filthy with mud, showering and then rushing back out to catch the train up. Or we might drive then get a tube at Southfields. The carriages absolutely packed, even more so than they are today after games, or so it seemed. The old District Line thudding along the track from Wimbledon to Earl's Court and back again. Thud-THUD, thud-THUD. It doesn't make the same noise anymore now that they've upgraded it.

I’m up in central nice and early today, miserable grey skies as joyless tourists scurry around me. Station concourse loiterers cling to paper cups like they might float away otherwise, chugging down caffeine first thing. The morning drug; just until lunchtime and back onto the alcohol, normal service resumed.

On to the Finborough and dad is there. The Old Man. Shakes my hand and I clap him on the back. Making sure he’s healthy, that he’s still there. He thanks me sincerely for the pint I buy him and I just shake my head, not really able to formulate what I’m thinking into words. “Don’t be stupid” seems to be closest, so I blurt that out in the middle of the noisy pub. I wonder how many pints of beer warrant suitable reparations for however many years of bed, board and football tickets that he’s given me. 

We discuss football. But not Chelsea and the media and the culture and everything else, the actual football, nothing refracted. I mention that we hardly do this. Seeing as we go to the same games, see it from the same angle, I assume he has the same opinions as myself. Luckily, it turns out for the most part, he does. A wave of relief swells over me and I feel a calmness which has been absent ever since my barber suggested midweek that we should sell Diego Costa as soon as possible and that Baba Rahman is world class.

Alex and Rich are present too and it’s all brilliant for short while, because we’re all Chelsea together. I think back to the excitement you used to feel back at school when someone else had a Chelsea pencil case and you could immediately become best friends. Or summers spent bringing a ball to the park and asking “who do you support?” almost immediately after “what’s your name?”. Of course, kids who weren’t really into football would be forced to answer “England”. Right now I’m empty of everything but the football. No work worries or health problems or anything else. Today, for a few hours at least, we’ll be carefree. It doesn’t even matter that City tonk us 3-0. 

There’s not many days like this left at this incarnation of Stamford Bridge though. The change that Conte promises to bring in on the field will no doubt pale into insignificance compared to a wider cultural change brought on by the Wembley proposals.  Pubs will close or change hands, some fans may be priced out, or just drift away. All we can do is enjoy it while we can, this season and the next. If you get a chance, take your time, get there earlier and watch the otherwise quiet area around Stamford Bridge change as football arrives, just as it has done for the entirety of Chelsea’s 110-year history. Stroke a police horse, buy your mates a drink, take it all in. It won’t be here forever. ­

@JJReid13

No comments:

Post a Comment